WHERE TO FIND US

My photo
Cnr Anslow & Collier Sts, Woodend, Victoria 03 5427 3772

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sweet Dreams

Well after a weekend of hard work, I finished my first sewing project since high school. A surprise doona cover for our bedroom. But with no consultation with my sweetheart who was away - would the pink be too much for him? What a risk!!

The beginnings of the front cut and matched on the floor.


The 'safer' reverse of the cover, for emergency 'blokey' relief (HARDLY blokey, but at least not so much pink!). I am secretly hoping we don't have to revert to this side, which, like the front, is edged in a light khaki green to match our curtains.




A Relief!! He loves it. This was taken this morning - and there's no full shot because he is still in it! Fast asleep, where I left him to come to the bookshop.


So what possessed me? Well, owning a bookshop can be a dangerous exercise. Inspiration is everywhere. I had no idea there were so many beautiful sewing and crafting books around these days.
(image French General Home Sewn by Kaari Meng)

Kaari Meng's French General brand have a few books on the market. This beautiful 'Home Sewn' above is full of stunning French inspired home decor and soft furnishings. The emphasis is on beautiful florals and vintage linens. Stunning.

With a few on my fabulous customers in mind, including the girls from RicRacSew who do my gift cards, and often visit New Leaves with their latest creations, I searched through Kathy Doughty and Sarah Fielke's 'Material Obsession Two', which is full of stunning stunning quilt designs, tips, and patterns. Perfect for the quilting beginner AND the experienced professional in need of some fresh inspiration.

(images Material Obsession Two by Kathy Doughty & Sarah Fielke)

With all this inspiration on the shelves around me, and an old sewing machine left to me by my Granny, how could I resist?

What's next......................?


Well there's always Amy Butler's Wide Leg Lounge Pants in that old Thomas the Tank Engine Doona Cover I found at the Op Shop for $3.
Or this bedside organiser - also by Amy Butler.

(images Amy Butler's In Stitches by Amy Butler)

I could try Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing, Sew and Stow, or either of Lotta, or Amy's books on sewing for babies and toddlers - equally gorgeous. And then there's Anna Maria Horner's 'Seams to Me'. The list is endless!

Or, for Winter Woodend mornings, which are sure to continue for a while yet, perhaps I should learn to crochet.

Cup of soup anyone?

(image The Crochet Dude's Designs for Guys by Drew Emborsky)

What are you crafting? And which books are your favourite places for inspiration?

No comments:

Post a Comment